Friday, September 23, 2011

Today was a... well, it was a day

The good news was my new AVG Willow jacket came in. Woot! And it was warm enough to ride over jacketless (which I don't like to do) and pick up the new jacket.

But this story really starts last night. Last night I rode the SV about 10 miles to go help a friend out for a couple of hours. I'd ridden a few times throughout the day without any problems and I didn't have any last night either. Until it was time to leave.

I jumped on the SV, turned the key and hit the START button. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Everything died.

Fantastic.

I was torn: do I call the roommate who I have had a rocky relationship with for the past couple of weeks or do I call some friends who I haven't talked to since June, but they live closer? I just needed a jump and then I could get home.

I decided to try and run-start it myself. Sitting astride the saddle I Fred Flintstone'd the bike forward until I thought I was going fast enough to pop the clutch. Nogo.

I noticed the side street was a slight downward angle and tried again, this time using gravity as my partner I Fred Flintstone'd the bike forward and popped the clutch. Yay! It worked. As soon as I heard the purr of the vtwin it died. WTF?

I hit the START button again and she fired right up. Yay! Without further adieu I took off for home. However, every time I hit a blinker or breaks the bike died from drawing too much power. Luckily, I was moving fast enough to pop the clutch again.

I headed home, hoping every second that I wouldn't have to stop at any traffic lights. I did, but luckily the SV didn't die on me.

Fast forward to this morning.

When I take Rufus (my dog) out for a walk I grab the keys and head for the bike -- she fires right up. Really? Nothing residual happening? WTF? Was it just something loose? But no, over the past six weeks I've had to trickle-charge the battery a couple of times.

But the SV fired right up!

Fast forward a few more hours. I jump on the SV to head down to Grand Prix Motorsports to pick up my new jacket. I ride all the way there, a cool 27 miles, and park the bike. I go inside, pick up my hold, and meander for a while. Motorcycle shops are like bookstores for me, I can browse for hours with nothing to do.

After about a half hour of doing nothing I decide it's time to take off. Plus, I wanted to swing by a friend's house who lives nearby. I go out to the SV, put the key in, jump on and hit the START button.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Are you kidding me!

So, I went back in and bought a new battery. A YUASA battery and an extra $20 for a lifetime warranty. Why the warranty? If the battery dies, or rather, when the battery dies, I get a free replacement: for life. That's right, for life. Essentially, I paid $20 for my next battery by buying it years in advance.

But, oh, that's not the end. The battery needs the electrolytes added and then it needs to charge for a few hours before being installed. [sarcasm] Fantastic! [/sarcasm] I don't have hours, though. I call my friend who lives nearby hoping he can come get me. No answer. Chris, in the parts department, says they can give me a jump if I can charge the battery at home. I can, but that means I still need to get the battery home. I have no backpack, no tank-bag, no tailbags, no nothing. [sarcasm] Great! [/sarcasm]


In the end, I ended up balancing it between me and the tank making me glad I'm not fatter since I had a hard time reaching the handles much less the break and clutch lever.

I got home with no problems, added the electrolytes and put it on the charger.


Fast forward a few hours.

I just installed the battery.

End of story. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment