Monday, June 27, 2011

Walk-about? No, it's a Ride-about.

Like all good riders, I got out and put some mileage on my motorcycle this past weekend. A long day in the saddle Saturday took me nearly 300 miles and a total of nearly 12,000 feet in elevation gain/loss.

There were six of us: a ZX10r, FZ1, FZ6, TLR and R6 and my SV1000s. We left the Denver area and headed up I-70 to Berthoud Pass where we cross the Continental Divide and on into Winter Park, CO.


From Trail Ridge Ride, 6-25-2011

Looking north from the summit of Berthoud Pass.

From Trail Ridge Ride, 6-25-2011

 We kept heading north through Granby and Grand Lake (which reminded my of small European lake-side communities) and into Rocky Mountain National Park. We were a little dismayed at the $10/motorcycle charged to get into the park and the ranger even charged the R6 (which was 2-up) $20 citing the fees were per-person. I highly doubt that is the case as cars and vans with multiple persons weren't paying per-person.

We rode (slowly behind tourists and gawkers) up Trail Ridge Road until this pull-out indicating we were crossing the Continental Divide again. We stopped to play in the snow.

And to take some pictures with the snow in the background.

We got on the bikes and headed up some more. At the below images we were at more than 12,000ft above sea-level. There was a sign we passed that I was hoping to get back to and get a picture that indicated the point when we passed the 2-mile high mark but I didn't get a chance to stop. Well, I did get the chance, but when you ride with a group the whole group seems to want to stop for something that quick and I didn't want to make anyone stop for me.
Our Route:

When I returned to Denver, I swung by Fay Myers and picked up my new EXO750 Vintage helmet. It fits so much better than the EXO500, which also resulted in the very noticeable corn-rows I'm sporting in the above pictures. The EXO750 doesn't have all the bells and whistles the EXO500 has, such as the drop-down sun shield, but it fits my head shape so much better and seems lighter on my neck. I've only been a few miles with the EXO750 so far but it seems more stable in the wind, too.

I was hoping to go up again today and get some pictures with my dSLR but the weather didn't cooperate. If I get time tomorrow I'd like to head up again. If not, then perhaps when I return from Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment