Monday, April 13, 2015

It's Not That Difficult

One of my least favorite things in the world is dying. No, no – not death. Dying. Specifically, when it's me. More specifically, when it's me doing the dying and someone else doing the killing. That's when you know life sucks.

Just a little bit ago I found myself just a reaction away from death. A little slower, perhaps a little more tired or had I been distracted and I wouldn't be here to type this out, relating how one man in a SUV nearly killed me because – why the hellz not?

The weather is dry, the sky is blue and I was riding my motorcycle running a few errands and grabbing a bite to eat. It was a normal day. I wasn't speeding (as if I ever do that); I wasn't in the canyons subtracting from my chicken strips nor was I acting the fool in any way, shape or form. In fact, I was merely leaving a parking lot via a one-way exit when a man in a SUV decided he couldn't wait until the corner to turn into the parking lot, he had to come in the exit.

Now, you have to understand, this is a dedicated exit from the parking lot to the street. From the street a sign clearly marks the exit as a Do Not Enter. In fact, the exit exits at an angle that should indicate to all involved it's not meant to be entered from the street.

But this jackass did. I can't recall exactly the make of the SUV, but it was one of those luxury kind, reminiscent of a Lexus or BMW – more egg shaped and less likely to be found with dirt under the tires. It was some sort of metallic goldish color. Not red or rust, but more beige than brown. I really don't know what color to call it other than ugly. The windows weren't tinted so I got a good look at the douchbag driving the thing. He was older than me, probably upper forties or early 50s, graying hair and a blue dress shirt. He actually had the audacity to wave at me as he drove around me.

Having my helmet on he more than likely couldn't hear me through my shield and his window and I doubt he heard my horn. From my rear view mirror I watched his SUV drive through the parking lot. Angry, I exited and rode around the corner to enter the lot from the proper side and then drove through looking for his vehicle. I didn't find it.

Not Actual Sign
Had I not been paying attention, had I been just a little more slow on my reaction time, I would probably be in a hospital right now if not dead.

The sad thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened in that exact same spot. The last two times I was in a cage, either my full size Chevy SUV or my friend's sedan. Both times wouldn't have been good for anyone, but at least I was protected by a metallic cage unlike today where only a helmet and leather riding jacket would have protected me.

Not that I'm complaining about riding at all. I take more precautions than a lot of people and less than a few (I rarely wear head-to-toe leather unless I'm carving the canyons). I'm complaining about the jackasses who don't obey the traffic laws, who can't read signs or who have decided that rules of the road are reserved solely for everyone else.


You wouldn't drive the wrong way down a one-way road, would you? Then why would you enter an exit only? Each and every one of us relies on the other's adherence to established rules to keep an orderly procession and while some rules may be a little more flexible than others, turning head on into traffic because you're a douche isn't one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment